Friday, June 4, 2010

Synod Assembly

This weekend we are going to the annual synod assembly - a weekend of meetings and reconnecting with friends throughout the area. It is going to be held in the Wisconsin Dells at one of the waterparks.

After being diagnosed I was thinking about this weekend. It is one of the few times that we pastors get a weekend off together and can catch up with others. I always enjoyed going, not for the meetings, but rather for the fellowship. I was wondering if I was going to feel up for it this year after surgery and a round of chemo. Luckily everything has been going very well and I am all ready to head up there. We are going a little early as well, so that the girls can splash around with us before the assembly starts.

The reason I bring this up today, one of the reminders I have been given through this disease is that times of fellowship are more important than we sometimes realize. The friends, the family, those who are important to us - we need to make the time to be with them because that time we have may be limited.

So today - celebrate those who are important to you in your life. Go out to coffee with a friend, go for a walk with a family member, spend some time with someone who is important to you. Celebrate this gift of life - for it is a real gift.