Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sabbatical starts with a sick child, leaking roof, and water in the basement





This week we start a six-week sabbatical, and it kicked off with a bang. On the first day we were awakened at 3:00 am with a sick Scarlett. After getting her settled we went in the basement and found water due to the massive rains we have been getting. Then, after dropping Sierra off at summer school, I was led into the bedroom to see water marks on the ceiling. A tree limb fell and punched a fist sized hole through the roof.

Today, all things are a little better. Scarlett is her normal busy self, the water in the basement is gone, and the hole has been repaired.

So today, hopefully, the sabbatical really begins.

The sabbatical is a time for us to take a break from the busyness of the church life, refresh and renew our souls a little, do some studying, and do some traveling with the family.

Our first trip is to eastern Montana. We will be heading out to my first call, in Savage, MT, where they will be celebrating their 100th Anniversary. I am excited to go back to this church that helped to form me as a pastor and see the people. On our way we will be visiting some old friends, go to a rodeo (which the girls are almost as excited about as I am), and spend some time in the badlands (which I think is some of the most beautiful country around).

I have a couple of books I plan on reading during this time, and I am looking forward to being able to travel and not worry about getting back in time for some work event.

I will be updating our sabbatical journey over the next few weeks. Off we go...

No comments: