Thursday, March 20, 2014

Auto-Immune Confirmed

So today I was officially told that I have an auto-immune disorder. This is not a big surprise. Ever since my primary doctor suspected it nearly two months ago I knew it would turn out this way.

She is that good of a doctor.

But I had to go through all of the tests and blood draws and everything else to confirm it. So that is what I have been doing.

And today's test, the one that confirmed it, well, to put it bluntly, it sucked.

I had an EMG. This is a test that measures the strength of your muscles and any change in the strength after exercise.

And to do this the shoot electric current through your body

Yup, it is an electric shock test. Not my favorite.

So you get into one of those stylish hospital gowns, then they start at your feet. They attach electrodes in a couple of places then shoot some electricity through you to see how your muscles respond.

And they work your way up the body.

Foot, calf, leg, arm, funny bone, then the face.

And they spent the most amount of time on my face.

The electric probe would shoot out five bursts, then I would have to do some facial exercises, then five more bursts. This went on for about 8 minutes.

The resident held my head in place so I wouldn't jerk too much.

So after all the tests I was talking with the doctor and she confirmed it was this auto-immune disorder. Then she said, "I knew it was that from the beginning, but I had to do the tests to confirm it."

Wonderful.

So I am starting on a new medication, hopefully it will make a difference. After four weeks I will meet with her again and re-evaluate. If the medication is not working as well as expected, then I will move to another medication. At this point she thinks that medication should take care of it.

And she did say that  hopefully in not too long I will be able to get rid of the eye patch.

That gives me hope.

So I ended my day with hope, and that is a great way to move forward.

Thank you for all the prayers and support, I will continue to keep you updated.

No comments: