Thursday, June 12, 2008

Baseball

Last night we had a group from the church go to the local baseball game. It wasn't a great game the Snappers got beat handily, but it was a nice night out. There was a break in all the rain we have been getting, and the weather turned out to be perfect.

It was also a break that I needed. The day had been very busy, running from hospital to hospital, doing a funeral, leading services at two nursing homes, and the list goes on and on. I needed a little break, to kick back, enjoy a game, and munch on some peanuts.

The human body is a strange and wonderful thing. And far too often we take advantage of it. We keep running from activity to activity, adding stress to our lives, and thinking that if we can just get this one last thing done things will finally get easier.

But there is always another thing to do - when I got home from the game I ran upstairs and started paying bills and doing household chores. The relaxation of the fun game disappeared and I was up too late to get up early and go workout.

So I guess, todays blog is about balance. Balancing all the activities that we need to do, and making sure we take the time to get the relaxation we need to really enjoy the life we have. I know that I need to slow down and remember that everything will get done, but if I don't take the evenings out to enjoy the games and friends around me, then life becomes a whirlwind and I don't take care of the body I have been given.

So today, may we all make sure that we take care of ourselves. May we be blessed with the times of R and R that are needed in our lives. And may we all treat our bodies as the temples they are.

No comments: