Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday Morning

As you may imagine, Sunday morning is a busy time at our house. Normally I get up first, get ready, and am in the office a little before 6:00 in order to get eveything ready here and repare to lead worship. But when there is snow on the ground, like today, the morning is even busier. So I was up very early, clearing the driveway trying to get all the cold weather gear together, and get my normal Sunday stuff done.

As I was playing on the driveway, in the below zero weather with the wind blowing the snow back in my face, I was not all that happy of a camper. But then I decided to try following the teachings of Brother Lawrence. Brother Lawrence was a monk a couple of hundred years ago who looked for the blessings of God in everything he did. So, as I was shoveling snow, I started thinking of my blessings. The blessing of being able to shovel, the blessing of having a driveway that needed to be cleared, the blessing of being able to go into a house and warm up when I was done.

As I looked at life through the eyes of blessing, my view changed. I was happy to be outside, and I even enjoyed the hard work of shoveling.

So often our lives are transformed by our outlook on life. When we are doing difficult work we sometimes get in the mindset of how hard life is - but when we see the blessings we have, we are more likely to enjoy the work we are doing.

So today, I challenege you to see the blessings that you have been given in everything you do, and in doing so, give thanks for all that you have.

No comments: