Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A for Effort

Today I did my second meeting with the radiation team that I will be working with and learned more about radiation as well as demonstrated an amazing showing of enthusiasm.

I had a CT Scan so that the doctor could figure out the exact areas that he wants to shoot the radiation. During this time they also pulled out a wonderful Sharpie and made marks on my chest, which they then covered with tape, so that they could line me up the same way when I come in for treatments. I had heard from some who had this in the past that they actually tattooed people, but luckily I did not need to have that happen. The only painful part will be taking the tape off next week.

We proceeded with the scan, then I got my schedule. I will be starting next Wednesday and follow up with 30 sessions. Each session takes about 10 minutes and I will be doing them daily at 8:30 in the morning, what a great way to start the day!

After that the doctor wanted me to have a breathing test. Here is where I got my A for Effort.

When they came to give me the test, they had me stand, put a breathing device in my mouth, and look at a screen of bricks. The goal was to blow down as many bricks as possible. So I did. I pushed out the initial breath of air and I kept blowing and blowing and blowing ... until I passed out.

I cam to a second later with three techs trying to get me into the chair. My first words were, "Did I blow down enough bricks?"

Needless to say, the rest of the test was done with me sitting and them telling me, quite forcefully, when to inhale a second time.

All the joys of medicine :)

Tomorrow I head off to the Cities to celebrate the end of my chemo. I will be back on Sunday evening.

No comments: