Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Looking for the Joy


With everything that has been going on for the past few days, it is real easy to get sucked down into the dark valleys of life. Spending time thinking about all of the "what if's," the things I may have to miss out on, the rearranging of the schedule, and the list can go on and on.

There are times like these when I really need to make myself look for the joys in life. For the joys are there, the blessings are there, the celebration is there ... Just sometimes it is hard to see because all of the negative things consume me and it is hard to get out of the rut.

That is why yesterday afternoon was such good medicine for me. After I get Sierra home from school I went out to the garage and put some training wheels on Sierra's old bike so that Scarlett could start to use it. When she came home she squealed with joy to have the chance to ride her "new" bike. As you can see in the picture above, she loved it.

It is moments like this that help me to see the joy. This is what is important in life, being able to spend time with my family, being able to help my girls grow, being able to hug my wife and share a quiet evening together.

So when the times seem dark, I try to think back to these moments to help get me out of the valleys. I know that there will be struggles and dark days, I know that there will be times I cannot pull myself out of it, but I also know that with the God who loves me and the friends and family who support and care for me, I will be able to see the joys and celebrate this gift of life in as full a way as possible.

No comments: