Friday, February 19, 2010

Lenten Disciplines

For a number of years when i was younger I would give up something for Lent - pop, chocolate, fast food, etc. But over time I came to the realization that doing these things never really enhanced my spiritual life. Instead I was just yearning for whatever I gave up and hoping Lent would come to an end fast.

So lately what I have done is picked up a spiritual practice of some sort. It might be a different style of prayer, writing in a journal, or focusing on a specific book in the Bible for this time of year. In doing this I started to grow more in that spiritual discipline and kept most of them even when Lent was over.

So this year I am working on a holistic discipline. I am spending these 40 days focusing on mind, body, and spirit. I have a book I am going to read a part of every day, a physical routine I will be doing, and a book in the Bible I will use as my focus. In doing these I am hoping to set up some standards that I will keep even when lent comes to an end.

So this year I challenge you to pick up a discipline during this holy season. Make some time to find ways you can grow in your life. And celebrate this season by celebrating the blessings you have been given.

No comments: