Friday, March 21, 2008

Gave

On this Good Friday (which is very snowy and not all that good:), we remember the word "gave."

After Jesus had taken, blessed, and broke the bread, he then gave it to the disciples. This is significant because Jesus gives us everything we need to make it in life and to grow in our lives of faith. His gifts are amazing, his love is unending, and this is shown in the fact that he gave his life for us. Even after he had died and was raised from the dead, he kept giving to us. He gives us the Spirit, so we can be empowered to be his Body, the Church, here on earth. He gives us the gift of forgiveness, so that we can forgive as we have been forgiven. He just keeps on giving.

But we are also given. We are given to others to be a light in their lives. We are given gifts so that we may share those gifts with the world. You see, we are blessed to be blessings to others. Christ desires to use us as his hands and feet in the world that he has created, and we are the ones chosen to do this task. The beauty of all these gifts we are given, and the fact that we are given to others, is that each of use was created differently - we were created as unique individuals with unique talents and called to use them in unique ways. We are special in God's eyes, and if we do not give ourselves and our gifts to others, then the body is incomplete.

This day, let us all reflect back on the gifts we have been given and how we have been given to others, and let us have open eyes to celebrate the gift of Christ in our lives.

1 comment:

Betty Dygart said...

John 3:16-17 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

These verses were spoken over me by my pastor when I was confirmed. I thought at the time that better ones could not have been chosen, because they embodied all that was important to my instruction in Christianity.

Giving is central to what we are instructed to do with our lives, in imitation of Christ. Sometimes, however, with so many in need for so many different things, the call to give is overwhelming. We can only do what we can do, and pray about the rest.

It is sometimes difficult to be a generous giver and to not expect recognition. But we are also called upon to remain humble. What we give to others is not really ours anyway. All we have are gifts from God.

At the same time, we need to receive. We depend on others for their care and concern. We are all part of the Body of Christ. This is the particular blessing of being a member of a congregation.

I return this day to my Cat Psalms for a reflection on fulfilling one another's needs...

"Don't Forget About my Needs"

I depend on them.
They think I rule the house.
I jump up to places where I am not supposed to be.
They look for paw marks on the table, hair on the sofa.
They think I can do anything.
They do not understand.
I need their help -- though I hate to admit this.
I cannot turn doorknobs to go in and out at will.
I cannot open cat food cans or pour milk from a carton.
The doors are closed.
The refrigerator is shut.
The food is sealed in cans and bags.
There is no live food to capture; the birdcage is locked.
The toilet seat is down and I thirst.
I must lower myself to ask.
They call me independent, but I depend on them.
If they go away or forget me, I could die.
My life depends on them.

Dear God,

I depend on you. I cannot reach all I need. I cannot open clouds for rain, summon the morning sun or the moon by night. I cannot bring the end of day or form the mountains. I cannot call forth seasons in their order. The key to my life is hidden from me, the door to the future is locked. My soul must ask. I am born asking -- for food, for comfort, to be held, for life. I am born needing love and trust, joy and family. I cannot find all I need, or keep it. My soul reaches out, takes, licks the bowl clean, waits for more. I depend on you, O God. My soul looks to you -- and a door is unlocked, food is opened, water poured, bread broken. There is help, so I ask.