Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of our journey into the Lenten Season. This is a day when we are reminded of our mortality, and reminded of the steps that Jesus takes to bring immortality to life.

When we are marked with the cross of Christ with ashes on our foreheads, we hear those words - you are dust, and to dust you shall return. This morning at the daytime service I made that mark and said those words to my wife and baby girl. It was a powerful moment, and one where, in my spirit, I fell to my knees and was reminded of the delicate nature of life.

And then, as I walked forward to receive communion, with that same baby girl in my arms, I received the body and blood of Christ and was reminded of a promise. A promise that yes, we are dust and shall return to dust, but that was not the end. For through the death and resurrection of Christ, we are also promised a new life - one where the bread and wine are but a foretaste of that great feast to come. One where there will be no pain or suffering, only the joy of resting in the arms of Christ.

So this Ash Wednesday, take time to reflect on the gift of life you have been given, and spend time reflecting on the gift of eternal life that is promised to you.

No comments: