Sunday, April 22, 2012

I live across the street from a cemetery


It's not something new, we have lived in our house for over 8 years now, but the thought crossed my mind just a few days ago.

I live across the street from a cemetery.

It's a nice cemetery, very well maintained and quiet. It is the one where we do the majority of our funerals as well. It is a good place to go for a quiet walk or bike ride when the weather is nice.

It is peaceful there.

And that is something that I have been searching out lately. Places and times that are peaceful.

With everything else that has been going on in my life, I long for the peaceful. I long to let the mind stop wandering and wondering. I long to just be in the moment, celebrate the activities I have with family and friends, to embrace the peace.

And as you know, that is not always easy. It is hard to turn off the brain and it seems like there is always something that needs to get done, a errand to run, a house to clean, a ... and the list can go on and on. So we end up not making the time for those peaceful moments that we need, and that we will treasure in the future.

That is what I thought about as I looked across the street at the cemetery earlier this week. We rush through life way too much and often take advantage of the time we have the people who are in our lives. In peering across the street I was reminded to slow down, celebrate what I do have, and double check my priorities.

As a dear friend has told me over and over again, "Faith, Family, and Friends - that is what matters."

So my question for you today is - what are your peaceful moments in life?

No comments: