Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sight

 
I have been thinking about sight quite a bit recently, mainly because the distortion in my left eye has not been getting any better lately. Things still look smaller and darker, a little squishy as it may be, and the improvement I have been hoping for has not come yet. I go back to see the doc at the end of April, so I am really hoping for improvement before then.

Sight is one of these blessings that we often take for granted. Before I had this eye issue I never really thought about not being able to see my wife and kids, not being able to read, not being able to see a sunset or sunrise. Now I treasure each one of these sights every time I have the opportunity to take one in.

But sight is not only the physical act of seeing something. There is also the sight of looking back in the past at memories or looking forward to the future. I have to admit there are times I get stuck looking at the past. My sight is narrowed to memories, both good and bad, and I get hung up on some of the pains of the past. Because of this I am not able to see the hope of the future with much clarity at all.

So for me to regain my sight, my perspective, I need to let the past be in the past, treasure the moment, and look forward to the hope of the future. This is not always easy to do, but when that move can be made, then the burdens seem to be lifted and life seems a lot brighter.

So as we enter into this Holy Week, what are some of the things from the past that are holding you back, and how can you let them go and move into the hope of the future?

No comments: