Saturday, March 27, 2010

New Arrival - My First Wig

As I mentioned earlier, after the surgery I am going to need to have both chemo and radiation. As many know, quite often people who have chemo lose their hair, and, well, I don't have a lot to lose. This has become a running joke with a number of my friends.

Earlier this week I jokingly said to a friend from high school that when I lost my precious hair that I was going to get a wig and I was thinking about an '80's style mullet. Well, this dear friend decided to take me up on that and yesterday I got a package from him that was a wig. No mullet - instead it is a nice big afro.

I already know that humor is amazingly important when it comes to deal with cancer, so I am going to have as much fun with this as I can. I have heard of ball caps that have hair sticking out of the back, wigs of a variety of styles, and other ways to cover the balding that will come. Going bald is something that will probably happen, so why not have some fun with it as well.

My next appointment is on Monday, when I do pre-op up at the hospital in Madison. Then I am off until the surgery on the 15th. This week I am going to spend playing and having fun with the family and celebrating the act that we are Easter people and the resurrection of Christ brings us hope, healing, and the promise of new life. May all of you be blessed during this time as well.

No comments: