Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sing a New Song


Those of you who know me know that I am the "joyful noise" guy. I love to sing, I love music, but I am not gifted at singing. Even when I was in junior high I was asked to leave the choir because of my poor singing ability. I didn't sing again until I was in seminary.

But now, even though I am not great at it, I sing - I sing hymns, praise songs, and childrens songs. I even sing to VeggieTales while traveling in the truck, to the chagrin of my daughters.

A number of years ago, when Sierra was a little girl, we had a little ritual we went through. We read some books, pray and bless each other, and then she would get tucked in. Sometimes, when she was lying in bed she would ask to sing a song. Often times this was done to delay bedtime, but who can resist singing with a child.

So we would sing, quite often we would sing "Jesus Loves Me" or another song she has learned at church or school. But for awhile the song she liked to sing was "We are messengers." It is a call and response song she learned at school that goes like this:

We are messengers we are messengers
Messengers for God messengers for God
We can tell our friends we can tell our friends
Love one another love one another

It is a simple song, but it is a wonderful reminder of what the Christian life means.

God loves us in amazing ways, and this good news is something that is so great we cannot keep it to ourselves. So God invites us to share that gift, that good news, with others. And the heart of the good news is two-fold - God loves us, and we are called to love one another.

Wouldn't it be great if that is how all of us lived our lives - loving God and one another above all else. Imagine how the world would be if love - the love of God and others - was what dictated the actions of all people in the world. No more war, violence, or threats - just love, peace, and compassion. A view of heaven maybe?

So, I am going to keep singing. It may not be pretty, it may not be on key, but it will be a joyful noise to God. For the love of God and the love I aspire to have with others, is something worth singing about, wouldn't you agree?

No comments: