Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Reflections - Micah 6



This week we are starting our summer sermon series. We were inspired by another pastor in the area, so we are following his lead and doing "Sermons By Request." What this means is over the past month we have been taking requests from parishioners on what they want to hear us preach on, and we received a lot of good ideas. This week the request was on Micah 6:1-8.

I don't remember preaching on Micah before, and there are some wonderful passages from this prophet. So I had to do a little research as I got ready for the weekend.

One of the things I learned was that Micah was called to talk to religious leaders about how they lived out their lives of faith. Micah was reminding them, calling them, to see that this relationship with God had to do with a changed heart. It wasn't about how many rams were need to atone for a sin or how much grain needed to be offered up to pay for a mistake you made. Instead it was about how you lived out your life of faith, and did your words and actions match up.

And that is a good questions for us as well. Do our words and actions match up when it comes to our walk of faith? And what does it mean for me to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with my God in my daily life?

No comments: