Wednesday, January 2, 2013

31 Days of Blessing

Go to full-size image


This is a series I wanted to start yesterday, but didn't get to it, so I have the first two days today.

Erik 

Day 1:

We give thanks to you, O God;
we give thanks; your name is near.
People tell of your wondrous deeds.
                                                Psalm 75:1

What would happen if we started our year by focusing on the amazing blessings we have been given in our lives. That was a thought I had one afternoon as I reflected back on a conversation with someone who was filled with negativity. If I was to look at every meeting, every encounter, every event of the day, no matter how joyful or difficult it may be, through the eyes of blessing, then what would my life be like?

Our lives are filled with blessings, and something we fail to see them because of the busyness and distraction of life. So I wanted to start this year out on the right foot, and I invite you to join me,, as we enter into 31 days of blessing. Over the next month we will look a the wide range of blessings we have been given and see how those blessings can help us to grow in our lives of faith.

So in starting on this journey, I start with who has blessed me the most - God.

I am thankful for the God who has claimed me, loves me, forgives me, and empowers me to share his grace and love with others. I am thankful for all that God has blessed me with and for all of the relationships in my life. I am thankful that God continually shows me his face as I have gone through the various struggles over the past year. I am thankful for his hand of healing and compassion. I am thankful for the people he put in my life to encourage me and help me along the way. Yes, the only place I can start this journey is with my God and the many and wonderful blessings he gives to all of us.

What blessings has God showered upon you lately?

Day 2:

O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever.
                                                            Psalm 136:1

As I reflect on the reading for today, my eyes are drawn to the word “love.” Love is a powerful emotion, and it has enhanced my life in mind-boggling ways. Thinking about love pulls me to my family – my wife Jennifer and our girls, Sierra and Scarlett. They give me life. They shower me with love and hugs and kisses every day. It is near impossible to have a bad day when a little girl climbs on my lap, kisses me on the cheek, and asks to have a book read to her. Yes, love is powerful and I experience it in this gift of family.

So today I look at the blessings my family. I am thankful for the blessings they have given me, for the support and nurture that I need. I am thankful for the difficult days that I have with them, because in the struggles the bonds of love grow stronger and the celebration are all that more joyful. I am truly blessed with this family.

Who is in your family (if they are related by blood or just close friends that you consider family), and what blessings have they given to you?

No comments: