Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 4 - Creation




Day 4:

15I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, and for this reason 16I do not cease to give thanks for you as I remember you in my prayers.
                                                                        Ephesians 1:15-16

I like to walk. Back when I lived in Montana I take walks with my two dogs and wander through the countryside. Walking is a way for me to escape the pressures of the day and get back to the root of life – creation.

I remember a walk I took earlier this fall. It was a beautiful morning so I walked down by a little stream that runs through town. As I walked the dirt path I looked around at the trees, listening to the stream as it ran beside me, and felt the rush of the air against my face. It was one of those moments when all of civilization seems to disappear and all that is left is the beauty of creation, untouched by human hands.

In this moment I was overcome with thankfulness for blessings of this gift of creation. To get back into nature, to be with the birds and the deer and the frogs jumping in the stream – it is overwhelming at times. I took a moment and sat on a dirt-covered rock, taking it all in. Yes, today I celebrate the blessings of creation, for its beauty, its power, and the gift it is to all of us.

Is there a place or part of creation that speaks to you? What does it say and mean to you?

No comments: