Monday, April 29, 2013

Mentors in the Faith - The Mystery Lady



As I mentioned a few weeks ago, when I was in college I spent a lot of time searching. When I first went to First Lutheran in St. Peter, MN, I was not sure what to expect, but it was a defining moment in my life and my life of faith.

Part of that story includes a lady whose name I cannot recall, but who had a profound impact on me. When I went to First I thought I would hide in the back and just check everything out. Not long after I sat down a little, old lady come over, plopped down next to me, and said, "You look a little lost. Can I help you to understand our service. Why don't I just sit with you today and help you through it. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing."

So she worshiped with me that Sunday. Told me when to stand and sit, how to take communion, and figure out the hymnal. Then after service, when I was about to leave, she grabbed my arm and said, "Where are you going? We are Lutheran which means we have cookies and coffee down the hall. Come with me."

And I did.

Once there she introduced me to a number of people and made me feel welcome.

One of the main reasons I went back was because of her and her hospitality. She made such an impression on me that you can still see it in my relational theology.

So thank you for welcoming me to your home.

No comments: