Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tuesday Reading - Romans



This week I want to highlight one of the books of the Bible that I am currently reading. First, a little background on how I currently use my devotional time.

Most mornings I am the first one up, so I head to gym and work up a nice sweat then come home, make a cup of coffee and start to read something in the Bible.

As most of you know, I love technology, and I have integrated it into my devotional life as well. On my I-pad I have a Bible app that I love, YouVersion Bible. Now it isn't perfect and it doesn't have my favorite translation, but it has helped transform my devotional life over the past few years.

With this app I can select different reading programs. Over the years I have read through all of the prophets, the OT, the gospels, Acts, and many more. Some have devotional material with them, others are just a reading plan that break it up day by day as to what you need to read.

So right now I am reading through the Acts and the Letters in the New Testament. Every day I get a chapter from Acts and one of the Letters. The Letter I am reading is Romans. (I know, it took me a long time to get there, but I made it:)

Romans has always been one of my favorite letters by Paul. I especially love the fifth chapter, which is what I was reading yesterday. In this chapter we are reminded of the grace of God and how salvation comes not from what we do, but rather through what Christ has already done. This is a freeing word that empowers me to take risks, live my life of faith, and trust that when I make a mistake, God will be there to lift me up, dust me off, and help me continue on. This is one of my favorite chapters in scripture.

Is there a passage in scripture that is powerful to you every time you read it?

No comments: